Home Improvement Frauds
About the Scam
Discount roof cleaning, driveway repairs, electrical work, and plumbing repairs are common scams. Some unscrupulous contractors prey on the elderly by quoting an extremely low price for jobs and upon completion demand a higher price.
How to Avoid
- Check out contractors with Better Business Bureau and county licensing agencies.
- Don't be high-pressured into signing any agreements or contracts.
- Take bids for work from several contractors.
- Never sign a certificate of completion unless all work is performed to your satisfaction.
- Always fill out checks yourself.
- Never sign and give a contractor a blank check.
- All work to be completed must be in the contract.
"Promised Work" is not valid for a complaint.