- Police Services
- Animal Control
- Pet Laws
- Restraint & Impoundment
Restraint & Impoundment
Laws for Restraint & Impoundment of Animals
Sec. 821.102. UNLAWFUL RESTRAINT OF DOG; OFFENSE.
(a) An owner may not leave a dog outside and unattended by use of a restraint unless the owner provides the dog access to:
(1) adequate shelter: means a sturdy structure: (A) that provides the dog protection from inclement weather; and (B) with dimensions that allow the dog while in the shelter to stand erect, turn around, and lie down in a normal position.
("Inclement weather" includes rain, hail, sleet, snow, high winds, extreme low temperatures, or extreme high temperatures.)
(2) an area that allows the dog to avoid standing water and exposure to excessive animal waste;
(3) shade from direct sunlight; and
(4) potable water.
(b) An owner may not restrain a dog outside and unattended by use of a restraint that
(1) is a chain;
(2) has weights attached;
(3) is shorter in length than the greater of
(A) five times the length of the dog, as measured from the tip of the dog's nose to the base of the dog's tail; or
(B) 10 feet; or
(4) is attached to a collar or harness not properly fitted.
(c) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly violates this section. The restraint of each dog that is in violation is a separate offense.
**Trapping of Animals**
1. A citizen is responsible for providing their own trap which will be serviced by animal control.
2. Trapping of animals is prohibited on weekends and holidays. Any animal trapped during those times must be released or could be deemed as animal cruelty.
Dogs must be confined to the owner's property by a fence, leash or tether. When off the owner's property, the animal must be in a vehicle or on a leash held by the owner.
If Animal Control picks up your dog or cat running loose, the impounded animal will be transported to the animal shelter. The animal may be redeemed for the below mentioned fees:
- First impoundment of the dog or cat will be $25*
- For each additional impoundment of the same dog, the impoundment fee will increase by $5* for each subsequent impoundment within a 12 month period.
- In addition to the impoundment fee, the owner shall pay the boarding fee, citation if any, and any veterinary or drug fees incurred during the impoundment.
*Fees are subject to change.
If proof of current rabies vaccination cannot be produced by the owner, the owner will pay for a rabies vaccination before the animal is released to the owner. Animals will be held for three days. The owner of any dog retrieved from impoundment will be responsible for all applicable fees.
Animals with rabies tags or personal identification tags will be permitted to stay longer than three days in hopes of locating the owner. If any animal is not claimed, it will be evaluated for adoption, or the animal will be humanely euthanized. For more information, contact Animal Control at (817) 573-2648.